Need to Talk

by RNIB (Royal National Institute for Blind People)

Need to Talk –advice and support service for people losing their sight

Being told you may lose some or all of your sight can be devastating news. Sight loss has often been compared to bereavement in terms of the emotional stress it can cause.

People need both emotional and practical support to adapt to life with no or reduced vision. That’s why the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) has launched a counselling and confidence building service in the west of Scotland, Need to Talk, with funding from the European Union’s Interreg programme.

Need to Talk is available to residents in Argyll and Bute, Arran and Cumbrae, Ayrshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Lochaber, Skye and Lochalsh and the Western Isles.

The service supports people of all ages, including children aged 11 and older. It’s also open to their family and carers. Counselling is offered by telephone and online (email, video-conferencing and instant messaging).

Need to Talk provides skilled counsellors with experience in helping people come to terms with their sight condition, and a friendly and reassuring voice to help them address any concerns and worries they may have.

Research by RNIB has found that that people with sight loss are nearly three times more likely to report feeling depressed, feeling constantly under strain, and having lost confidence. And many find it helpful to talk through these feelings with someone outside their usual circle of family and friends.

Need to Talk can offer advice on what help is available to maximise use of your remaining vision, on what aids and adaptations can allow you to retain your independence at home and at work, and on what financial benefits are available to help with any additional costs. And reassurance that you can still live a fulfilling life.

Last updated 22/11/2019

Can you help us improve this listing? Give feedback

Contact information

 0303 123 9999
This service is under the category: Disability , Conditions , Health & Social Care Services , Support Network , Helplines , Sensory Impairment

Delivered across
  • · Ayrshire and Arran (Health Board)
  • · Dumfries and Galloway (Health Board)
  • · Western Isles (Health Board)
  • · Argyll and Bute (Integration Authority (HSCP))

To learn more about service areas.